Unanswered: How do I avoid "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded" error

Hi all,
    I am using imap_open function to open a stream to a mailbox.It works pretty well if I give the correct port , username,password and host details.But I want to make sure it has proper error handling mechanism as well. That is, If any user gives an invalid host or username , then I get this below error from php's default error handler

Warning: imap_open(): Couldn't open stream {nbm/pop3:110}INBOX in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\helpdeskpilot\includes\generic. class.php on line 1092

Warning: imap_open(): Couldn't open stream {nbm/pop3/notls}INBOX in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\helpdeskpilot\includes\generic. class.php on line 1095

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\helpdeskpilot\includes\generic. class.php on line 1095

Now, I know how to suppress the warning message and I don't care about it as long as I can continue executing my script. What is worrying me most is the "fatal error" that I get here.I would like to avoid this error in the first case , and if at all it can't be avoided , I would like to continue with my script execution.Is this possible? If yes,any ideas how it can be done?

Thanks & Regards,
    Celia.
    Last edited by rexselin; 09-14-05 at 07:28.

Hi
    try
    ini_set("max_execution_time","n"); // to set the max. execution time to n seconds

at the beginning of your script.

Or change the default value in the php.ini file (if you were authorized to do so).
    The changing in the ini file affects ALL scripts on the server, the code line mentioned above affects only your script.

Erich

Have a bit more sun in your heart