Unanswered: update with join: does not work sometimes

I have an sql query like this in my stored procedure

update #temp_A
    set A.col_2 = B.col_2
    from #temp_A A,
    #temp_B B
    where A.col_1 = B.col_1

It mostly works; except sometimes it does not update col_2, i.e. though there are matching rows in #temp_B, data from temp_B (col_2) is not copied into #temp_A (col_2).

Has anyone come across anything similar before? I was suspecting that the problem might be due to the qualifier "A" in the line "set". But I want to be sure before I change it.

Additional information:
    1.ASE 11.9.2.6
    2.Clustered index on #temp_A (col_1)
    3.Typical batch size of 100 rows in each table

Are you sure that you have a one-to-one relationship between the rows in #A and #B. If you have multiple rows in #B that match a row in #A and some have the same value in col_2 as A then....

I used this kind of update a lot, and never had any problem. Worked even in 11.9.2. I'm often critical of Sybase, but the update-join is one of the more nice features, which takes the set-based paradigm one step further than Oracle.

In addition to what Ted said: beware of NULL values. The '=' condition in the where clause won't be satisfied if you have nulls on both sides.

And beware of the cardinality issue. Once, by mistake, I left an extra table name in the From list of a similar Update statement. That extra table was only growing by a few rows every day. A month later, the server was running out of log space. I suspect that internally, the Update writes to the log every change it needs to carry out, even if some changes affect the same records all over again.

Andrew

It looks to be strange that the update is not working, but as you said it could be because of 'A.' in set .