Unanswered: References/library Files

I have an application that requires library files and references to work properly. I am about to distribute this applcation to many computers, but for now I am testing it on about 6 different computers. These computers can possibly have different versions of MS Office on them.

I don't really know much about the references and library files so I have a few questions:

1. Where does Access look for the references and library files? I have copied them to the folder where the mdb file resides. Does Access find them there?

2. If there is a reference/library files already in the MS Office folder somewhere, will Access use that one or the one I have copied into the folder with the mdb?

3. How do you refresh your references?

Thanks,

SBR

I recently installed a microsoft DLL package which had an installer that installed and registered the DLL. I wanted to move it so the System directory and had to manually register it to the new location. Per this method.

To register or re-register a DLL, type regsvr32 [filepath]\nameofDLLfile.dll in the Run dialog box on the Start menu.
    If you are distributing an application you could build your own install package that checks for the required DLLs and installs as necessary. The installer making programs can be hard to learn. I've used the Click Team Install Maker before which wasn't too hard to understand. I havn't attemted to install and register DLLs with it but I'm sure their Pro and/or Standard install creation program can do that. Yes, just looked again and it can. Plus they still offer a Freeware version with full functionallity! Click the link for the standard version and you'll see the downloads for the Free and Paid versions.

~
    ~

Bill

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by savbill
    I recently installed a microsoft DLL package which had an installer that installed and registered the DLL. I wanted to move it so the System directory and had to manually register it to the new location. Per this method.

To register or re-register a DLL, type regsvr32 [filepath]\nameofDLLfile.dll in the Run dialog box on the Start menu.
    If you are distributing an application you could build your own install package that checks for the required DLLs and installs as necessary. The installer making programs can be hard to learn. I've used the Click Team Install Maker before which wasn't too hard to understand. I havn't attemted to install and register DLLs with it but I'm sure their Pro and/or Standard install creation program can do that. Yes, just looked again and it can. Plus they still offer a Freeware version with full functionallity! Click the link for the standard version and you'll see the downloads for the Free and Paid versions.

~
    Hi savbill,
    just wondering whether it is valid or not to register the library (if that PC doesn't have that before)? any license agreement needed??

how are you distributing your db ot other versions of Office ? Are the other versions of Office running Access in full ? Do you need to distribute Access Runtime ?

Quote Originally Posted by jlc@dbws
    how are you distributing your db ot other versions of Office ? Are the other versions of Office running Access in full ? Do you need to distribute Access Runtime ?
    Question 1:
    You have to read the EULA for each particular Library you wish to use. Microsoft Office contains some DLLs and all are not installed depending on the install options. But they can be found on the CD, So you've already bought them and can use them. I was using the 'dsofile.dll' from Microsft KB Site.

Microsoft Developer Support OLE File Property Reader 2.0 Sample (KB 224351)

The software compontents and source code, including any accompanying documentation (the "Software"), are provided to you at no charge. Microsoft Corporation owns all rights, title, and interest in and to the Software. The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of the Software.

Question 2:
    A previous place we used the Access RunTime, Then kept the program on a Network drive. After the Runtime DLL was installed on the client machine they could use the Database. For updates I would kick everyone out of the DB and install an the updated FE/BE copy on the Network after testing of course.

At the current place users have a full copy of Access and run DBs from the Network in Access. A Workgroup.MDE is used for Security control. There's also several standalone PCs and databases that arn't managed by the IT group. There on their own for the most part.

~
    ~

Bill

I will be distributing the application to different versions of Office, each with their own full version of Access.

Does a run-time version of Access come with Office?

Thanks,

SBR