Unanswered: SQL Server Standard edition

I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the Forum...

I have a SQL Server STND edition Instance on a running on Windows 2000 Server. How Can I tell if the instance is named or default and how many named Instances can I add to this install????

Is is just as simple as rerunning the Install? How about Service Packs?

Provided Answers: 6
    Do this
    SELECT @@SERVERNAME

If you just see a name without a "\", then it is default.

If you see a name like ServerName\InstanceName.

I forgot the number of instances. Maybe 8. Look it up. It should be in BOL.

BTW running too many instances will eat resources and hamper performance.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 6
    whoops to add an instance, rerun the install and there will be a screen with a box to add another instance name if there is already one installed.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    From Books Online, and article named "Maximum Capacity Specifications"

You can have 16 instances. One default, 15 named instances of SQL Server. I pity the person who tries to run 16 separate instances on one server, though.

Best way to see how many instances are installed is to check the services applet in Administrative tools, and see how many MSSQL*** services are there. The services that are not running still count toward the 16 instance limit, because they have been installed.

Just an fyi from Microsoft:

You can run multiple instances of SQL Server 2000 on a single computer. Multiple instances are used by organizations that have several applications running on a server, but want them to run in isolation so that any problem in one instance will not affect the other instances.

Under the Processor licensing model of SQL Server 2000, you can install multiple instances of SQL Server on the same computer without having additional licenses. Under the Server/CAL model, you can install multiple instances of SQL Server on the same computer only if you use SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. With Standard Edition, using the Server/CAL licensing model, you must have a separate license for each instance.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Thank you one and all