Question Unanswered: Superadministrator question

1. Is it possible to create more than one superadministrator in Oracle 9.x?
    2. How can one "see"/Know/recognise the super admin? It is possible to change the superadmin user name, or not?

I need to make sure that the account info I am given is the actual top level and that no one else got that access.

Not familiar with oracle...

kedaniel
    Win-XP pro, Access 2002, ADO 2.7, DAO 3.6. English versions of apps/OS.

Quote Originally Posted by kedaniel
    1. Is it possible to create more than one superadministrator in Oracle 9.x?
    2. How can one "see"/Know/recognise the super admin? It is possible to change the superadmin user name, or not?

I need to make sure that the account info I am given is the actual top level and that no one else got that access.

Not familiar with oracle...

kedaniel
    A true superuser has all DBA power, along with the ability to shutdown/startup a database, create a database, backup a controlfile to trade, and do a recover until incomplete recovery.

If this is what you're looking for, you're talking about a SYSDBA. Yes, you can have more than one by doing: grant sysdba to username;

Are you on a *NIX system or Windows? Whatever operating system level group you designated or used when installing Oracle will allow full SYSDBA access to the DB without the need for a password; it will use OS authentication. Other than that, the only user that has SYSDBA by default is SYS.

You can audit logons as SYSDBA by looking on *NIX in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit directory, Oracle will put a file there for every SYSDBA login by default. You can change an initialization parameter, AUDIT_SYS_OPERATIONS=TRUE, to audit every action ever taken by a SYSDBA user.

You can not change the name of SYS. Remember than in Oracle, your user's name is the name of your schema; we don't have databases with several users spanning across them; there is one database with many users/schemas inside it. So no, the name cannot be changed. SYS is always going to be a SYSDBA, this can not be changed.

If you want to find out who has this ability, just do: select grantee from dba_sys_privs where privilege = 'SYSDBA';

This will give you the topmost level.

I've noticed SYSDBA logins are a topic that confuses a lot of my students. Especially ones that come from SYBASE or MSSQL backgrounds.
    Steven Karam
    Oracle 10g Certified Master
    Web: OrclDBA.com
    Email: steve@orcldba.com