Unanswered: Reset Autonumber

Hi,

A friend of mine asked me if it is possible to reset autonumbering in a table. I said I'd ask it here . Point is, they have a working Access-app with a DB, but for some reason they want to (and have) erased the data from one table, leaving an empty table, ready to be filled with data again.

However, they want to reset the autonumbering, letting the first record be '1' again (it now counts onwards from the last autonumber used, of course).

I have no clue why, I didnt ask, but I am aware of the risks, Ill tell him that later.

I KNOW its possible, theres something in the help but I cant figure out what they mean (Access(97) help is very crappy), so I was wondering if one of you l33t peeps could help me with a manual for dummies :s

Thanks a bunch

copy the table using "structure only"
    delete org table
    rename new table to old name

but be aware that you loose your relations
    you have to rebuild them

have a look at google, maybe someone provides a code to reestablish the relations

You need to create a temporary table with one field in it set as a long integer - enter a 0 as a value (or any value less 1 then the value you want the auto number to start at). Use an insert query to add the the value to the table, then delete the record just added. The next new record will start the auto number off again. See Access Help under aut number for the full details.

You could also use a data definition query where you drop the column and then add the column again - look in the help files for ALTER TABLE and DROP

if you have deleted all records in the table, compact & repair should reset the autonumber back to the beginning.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

compact & repair on empty table works perfect
    i guess i know whom to ask my next questions ..

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    if you have deleted all records in the table, compact & repair should reset the autonumber back to the beginning.

izy
    This kind of reply was what I was hoping for Thx izyrider