Unanswered: Workgroups trouble

Hi all,

a friend of mine has a Access database program that was created by a software firm in Access 97.
    He now wants to upgrade to Access 2000 or XP but with those versions of Access, he can't open the database. He gets an error message saying : "The current user account doesn't have permission to convert or enable this database".
    I suspect that the databse was created within a specified workgroup. Unfortunately, we can not ask the creators since that software firm does not exist any more. So we have no possibility to recreate the workgroup information file (we don't have the PID's)

We urgently need to upgrade this database. Any suggestion is welcome.

What format is the Access 97 file in? i.e. .MDB or .MDE format. That'll give us a better chance of helping you quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cruickshanks
    What format is the Access 97 file in? i.e. .MDB or .MDE format. That'll give us a better chance of helping you quickly.
    File is a .MDB
    For some forms and macro's, I have rights to open and edit so it can't be a .MDE file that is renamed to .MDB

what processes have you tried so far in order to rescue the data?

I've tried to compact, repair, open,... but none of it will work in Access 2000.
    Now I'm trying to set up an old PC with Access 97 so that I can try some things there
    (I don't want to install multiple versions of Access on my PC)

how big is the file? I can try something from my end as it's easier to do rather than explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by cruickshanks
    how big is the file? I can try something from my end as it's easier to do rather than explain it.
    Sorry, can't post the file due to confidentiality agreement with the client. Also, the file is quite too big to send it : 14 MB

That's fair enough, i don't want to do anything that would break any agreements of laws. I'll email you with the procedure on one way you can try to rescue the database.

Hi Herman,

I have learnt MS Access myself and have experienced many difficulties/problems. I faced the same problem you friend has now. Please let me know if he can still open it in Access 97. There must be a workgroup in .mdw format in order for him to use it in Access 97. If so, you can use the same workgroup in a new version of Access.

ThiNhan,

thanks for the reply.
    The problem is indeed the .mdw file. We have a .mdw file but we don't have the password for the administrator in that .mdw file. We can open and use the program in Access 97 but we can't get access to the design of the forms and modules.

I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds like there is nothing your friend can do to convert that database!

There are different levels of restrictions/permissions. Let's see what is available. Can you answer these following questions?

1. Does your friend need to log on when he opens the database in Access 97?
    2. Does he get the full menu or a customized menu?
    3. Can he split the database into the back-end and the front-end?
    4. Can he open up the database window?

My guesses will be "No" if the contractor did it correctly. That is usually the problem with hiring a firm to develop a database and forgetting to ask for the owner name and password!