Thread: change DB owner

Unanswered: change DB owner

I have several Production Databases on my SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition Server (mixed mode authentication) that I'd like to change DBO Permissions on. When I look at the Properties of the DB(s) from EM, the Database owner is showing up as a Windows NT USer who is no longer even with the company!!

Can I use the sp_changedbowner 'sa' command to change the database owner to sa without disrupting Production? Might sound like a dumb question.. but ya never know!!!!! Also, I had someone on another forum tell me that 'sa' as db owner is a bad idea but I don't know why??????? can anyone elaborate on that?????

I am also interested in these questions (and so have posted to just put it back to the top of the list in the hope someone can answer - is that bad etiquette?)

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, you can always change the database owner to sa. At least as far as I know, this is a good idea in almost every case.

As far as the person that thought it was a bad idea, I'd love to hear their reasoning... While I can concoct a case where it was a bad idea, it would take some considerable doing, and would probably never happen in "the real world".

-PatP

Thank's Pat.

jpotucek, even though the user that own's the database has left, does their Windows account still exist? Does it cause you any issues?

The only reason I ever had a person other than sa as dbo, was when I had a person who kept forgetting to put dbo in front of objects she created.

Tim S

I don't manage the NT accounts here, just the logins on the SQL Server. The accounts still exist and they may even be disabled, i don't know. I'm going to change the DB Owner on all to sa and drop the users from my sql servers - then I know i won't have any problems!!!!

THank you one and all