Thread: to many records

Unanswered: to many records

Hey gang, I have 2 database tables both over 100,000 record. they come from differect database and have similare fields. The key field I need in text in one table and number in the other. Each time when I attemp to creates a new column and copy the key field over my box just hang up or I get a message that the copy and paste cannot be used. I also attempted to run a query on the tables but I get a error because the kkey field dont match. Any suggestions

And what are you trying to do???? Which key are you going to use?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Why not run a query instead of trying to cut and paste?
    Darasen

Angry To many records

Thats what I'm trying to do. Both files have over 100,000 record. I have to match up a id file on both tables. One table datatype is number, the other is text. Then based on the id matching the other field has to be clean up. Everytime I attemp to run it it just locks up. I'm thinking of maybe just separating each process.

Quote Originally Posted by garrydawkins
    Thats what I'm trying to do. Both files have over 100,000 record. I have to match up a id file on both tables. One table datatype is number, the other is text. Then based on the id matching the other field has to be clean up. Everytime I attemp to run it it just locks up. I'm thinking of maybe just separating each process.
    How are you trying to do this now? Can you display the relationship match you use?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

When you are working with large tables, Access has a hard time changing datatypes and/or adding columns. What you might try doing is copying the table you want to make changes to. Be sure to only copy the structure. Then with the new table make the structure changes (add a column, change a datatype). Then create an append query to put the records from your old table into the new blank table. It is pretty awkward but that is the only way I have found to get around this kind of problem.