Unanswered: Paradox 3.5 Tutorials or Manuals

Good Afternoon,

At work I have been put in charge of a new project that utilizes a Paradox 3.5 database, and due to how old the software is, I am having problems finding any documentation as to how to work in that environment.

I like to think that I have a more than competent understanding of the theory of database construction/querying/etc, but most of my experience has been in an Oracle or Access environment. Therefore, I was hoping that someone might be able to point me to some sort of online tutorial and/or instruction manual, just so I can learn how to navigate through the interface, and perhaps some helpful keyboard shortcuts.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This might be a good inquiry for comp.databases.paradox.

Your basic trouble is going to be that Paradox-for-DOS version 3.5 is a very old version of the DOS product and probably can't run in a lot of modern environments. (2 GB was an inconcievably large hard-disk; 16 MB was an unthinkable amount of RAM.) You cannot plan on keeping this application the way that it is, nursing it along to keep it running a few more years.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I understand that 3.5 is EXTREMELY out of date, and from what I've been told, we're going to be migrating to something more up to date in the near future. For the mean time though, I need to be able to navigate through it. Thanks again for the newsgroup recommendation, and if anyone else can point me to anywhere else I would appreciate that as well.

Gawd

For less than $200 American you can get a copy of Corel Office professional which includes Paradox 11.

If you have a working knowledge of access and oracle you will find the querying and table and report creations fairly intuitive. And the online documentation is very good.

Finally, there will be a lot more help in this forum as I threw out the last pdox 3.5 manual about 12 years ago. You don't want an old man like me working from memory.

It will have no problem opening the dos tables. And including all indices. Only the forms and reports will be obsolete.