Unanswered: How long does it take for sp_repldone to execute?

Does the time it takes to execute sp_repldone depend on the size of the transaction log it's working on?

Basically, I am executing sp_repldone to mark all of the transactions as replicated, so I am wondering it sp_repldone goes through each unreplicated transaction and marks it, or does it just go to the last unreplicated transaction and marks only the last one, and all of the previous ones are automatically consideres replicated?

Reason to ask: our transaction log is around 27GB right now, although normally it's approximately 1GB. The sp_repldone command has been executing for the past 30 hours, and since it doesn't give any information as to the status of the execution, I'm wondering if it's doing anything at all... I also checked the process, and it in not blocked by anything.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Не дают котенку сала,
    Не дают и колбасы
    У него вся шерсть отпала,
    Повылазили усы...

Um, should you be doing this? According to what I read you should only execute this in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by ejustuss
    Um, should you be doing this? According to what I read you should only execute this in an emergency.
    That is a very good point. However, so far I haven't found any other solution to a failing Log Reader that says "The process could not execute 'sp_repldone/sp_replcounters' on 'myserver'." and "The process could not set the last distributed transaction."

The only other option we have is to drop and recreate our replication schema that has around 150 publications with one of them having 130 subscribers. Even if you script it, it a great pain in the a** to set it up. We've aready done that, and I'm not sure I want to go through that again...

Не дают котенку сала,
    Не дают и колбасы
    Повылазили усы...

I saw one suggestion that you stop and start sql server agent and if that does not work to stop it, execute sp_replflush and then restart it. Don't know if you've tried that or whether it worked for the other person.

What version of SQL Server are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by ejustuss
    I saw one suggestion that you stop and start sql server agent and if that does not work to stop it, execute sp_replflush and then restart it. Don't know if you've tried that or whether it worked for the other person.

What version of SQL Server are you running?
    ejustuss, thank you for taking your time to help me. It's a 2000 with SP3.

I know, we've tried sp_replflush. We also tried rebooting the server. Actually, we came to a conclusion that sp_repldone is not working. It actually gets stuck at the same point as Log Reader. So the only option we have is to drop our publications

Our current replication setup includes ~150 transactional publications with queued updating with each one having 1 subscriber, and one simple transactional publication with a whole bunch of subscribers. My boss thinks that those transactional with queued updating publications might be stalling the Log Reader. We will try switching to merge replication instead and that way the Log Reader will only have to deal with one simple transactional publication that has a bunch of subscribers.
    Не дают котенку сала,
    Не дают и колбасы
    Повылазили усы...

Sounds complicated. I only have one transactional publication with just 4 articles in it (duplicated on 2 machines) and one (central) subscriber. And one merge publication with about 8 articles replicating between the same 3 machines.