Thread: concatenate

Unanswered: concatenate

what would be a good way to concatenate two fields in a table into one field. I have a table with only two fields with 580,000 records- i need to concatenate these two fields.

Provided Answers: 59
    use an update query
    merge the columns into an existing column or into a new column and then delete the old column(s)
    change the forms / reports rreferring to the columns that have been deleted or added.

OK- i tried that- it worked for the most part. now here's my problem. The two fields i want to merge are numbers. Both are 4 digits. the first part is easy- they contain no leading zeros but the next field DOES have leading Zeros. example: first field- 8645 second field 0009- i want these to fields to look like this- 86450009 when i run the update query i get this 86459. it drops the leading zeros.i tried to format but then i get this 00086459. Help

How about using VB to create two arrays, one containing the 8645 data, and a secon one combining the 0009 data.

You should then be able to create a new table, and combine the two values while maintining data integrity.

UPDATE SomeTable SET SomeColumn=Format(FirstColumn,'0000') & Format(SecondColumn,'0000');

And the problem is???
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

u da man- owen- it worked!!!

thanks to everyone who help me!!!