Question Unanswered: Read Text File From Internet

Is there a way to read a text file from the Internet and compare the contents of said text file to a constant that is stored in an Access table. For instance, if a text file is located at 'http://www.yoursite.com/valid.txt' and contains the string 'This is a valid user' - how would I go about comparing the value in my table to this constant? The primary reason for wanting to accomplish this task is for the purpose of validating a user.

This may help you. I have dome this in ASP using VBScript, but I have not done it in Access.

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/aspfaq...Q.asp?FAQID=23

Hope it helps

Question

I read over that article and gathered quite a bit of knowledge but unfortunately, it won't help with my dilema. That approach grants an ASP page access to a remote machine - the exact opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish. I thought about using the process in reverse, but it appears that Access doesn't support the FileSystemObject property.

Perhaps Access cannot connect directly to a text file located on a web server. I would even settle for first downloading the file, reading it into Access, and then disposing of it. This process only occurs when the database is first fired up, so it wouldn't be too much of a nuisance. Any ideas on downloading a file from a web site and saving it to a specific local folder?

would creating a new table (just for a trial) and setting the reference of the text to be compared as the URL for the text document, then after adding a text box to a form to set the reference to the url.

I don't know much about gethering text from the net, but using logic, i would think this method would be achieveable.