Thread: importing data

Unanswered: importing data

i run office 2000 on an xp operating sytem...whenever i try to import data from an external source, excel locks up. has anyone encountered this before? if so, is there a known fix? thanks for the help....

When using Microsft query, with the size of recordsets i look at it can take an absoloute age to come through, sometimes as much as 1/2 an hour,
    if i have to do something like this i usually try to let it run on a seperate machine
    if you give it enough time it will probably come through

how long have you let it run before, what size of file are you trying to import, what kind of system are you importing from - i usually run to a SQL server which takes longer than running from Access

Dave

Exporting data

there shouldn't be any problem with the os version you have and the office version you have.
    maybe there is some complication with you office or os.

at work we are using office2000 on a 98 platform, there doesn't seem to be any problems with the data transfers we do.

restart the program, or computer and try again... where is it that you are importing the data from - Access? or is it vice-verse?

ive let it run for almost 4 hours.....it happens when i try to import data from anywhere...access, oracle, or any outside source. ive tried rebooting and reinstalling...any ideas?

Have you tried connecting through an ADO recordset then writing this recordset to a worksheet, although this is slow it may help pinpoint the problem whether its network or down to your local instance of MS Query

Just a thought

you could also check to see if this is the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q105136/

ive done some searching and this is the best i can come up with

Thanks for the suggestions David...thats what makes this weird...I can export data into Excel, but I cannot import (not even from my local drive)