Unanswered: Sum Function For Multiple Records - Access 2002

I have an imported table that contains about 400,000 records but for only about 100,000 individuals. Some of the individuals have anywhere from 2 to 10 records with each record having different dollar amounts for the same currency field, [Balance]. The only field that I am interested in totaling is that currency field.

What I want to do is create a make table query or an update query that will combine those multiple currency amounts for each individual into a single record for each individual with a Grand Total for those currency amounts. I don't care if it's a new table or a query as I can update my Master table using that calculated total. I do use a Social Security Number to isolate the different individuals.

I'm not very versed in this level of Access yet but I can sum amounts in reports etc.. I'm just having a real hard time trying to master this function. I need to do this monthly so this is a big issue for me to resolve if I can.

Can anyone help me with this?

Lee

The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London
    SELECT id, SUM(amount)
    FROM tableA
    GROUP BY id
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

Re: Sum Function For Multiple Records

Thanks Robert!

Worked fine!