Unanswered: Calculation Fields and Storage Options

I am working on an interface solution and have a question about calculated fields. My database has calculated fields for displaying tab graphics and the related labels. These calculated fields do not seem to update automatically. In fact, their behavior is not predictable; thus they are broken. The situation has me scratching my head as I have elementary knowledge about these intricate calculation fields. Upon reviewing another interface example, the calculated fields have both check boxes under “Storage Options.” Select a calculation field, then [Options]; then [Storage Options].

Has A Checkmark Use global storage (one value for all records)
    Has A Checkmark Do not store calculation results – recalculate when needed

The calculation script is correct since I copied it from the example file. The only difference between my calculated fields and the example is the “Storage Options.” Mine has “Use Global Storage” checked while the example has both. Apparently, Filemaker does not allow me to select both options; it deselect one when you select the second option. Does this behavior sound normal? How does one select Global storage and recalculate at the same time? I tried re-selecting both on the example file and Filemaker did allow me to re-select both options again. How do calculated fields act in Find Mode? Do my graphics disappear?

Let me know if you have any additional insight on my situation.

After turning off the Global option, the calculation field began performing as expected. Now, the layout shows the tabs graphics and appropriate labels. The tab graphics and labels change when you switch layouts. But the layout does not gracefully go into Find Mode. The tab graphics and labels disappear in Find Mode. The interface example does not have the same Find Mode behavior; yet the my solution and the example have similar construction by design. I can not help deduct that this scenario relates to the “Storage Options.”

The interface example has both “Use global storage” and “Do not store calculation results” checked. How come? How did the developer achieve both boxes checked.

The second situation occurs when a layouts show records from another table outside the table with the navigation calculations. The calculated fields now display “Unrelated table.” Again, my explanation may be ambiguous, yet people familiar with interface solutions should have an idea. Most interface solution face similar challenges like Find Mode and data separation.

Let me know if you could comment on the subject. Thanks again!