Unanswered: SQL*Net and Firewall

In Oracle8, if you needed to connect to a listener through a firewall and your firewall administrator was stingy with the allowable ports, you could add a parameter to your Windows 2k registry of USE_SHARED_SOCKET with a value of TRUE. Doing this would force the database to connect back to the client using the same port used to connect to the listener. A boon for those pounding our heads against the wall trying to get a connection to a database on the other side of a firewall...

However, in 8.1.7 / Windows XP, it is almost as if this workaround is not respected. My database is on a Windows XP box on a remote network behind a firewall, and I keep getting a TNS Connection Closed error. I've tried Oracle's suggestions of setting up MTS_DISPATCHERS, etc, ad nauseum. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have another idea as to how to get through the firewall and back? Changing firewall port exceptions is not an option...

Thanks in advance!
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    The "only" solution is to use a firewall that Is "Oracle aware" & configured to interoperate with SQL*Net
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.