Unanswered: orphaned db2 processes

I have some db2 processes that I can't kill with ' force application (appId)'. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these processes?

redwolf,

Just out of curiosity, how those process got orphaned?? Were the applications killed in a "dirty" manner and the agents didn´t die?

What version of DB2 are you running?

I´ve had a similar problem on DB2 V7.2 on Linux, and from what I saw, after trying to force them a few times, they eventually disconnected from the server.

I think that after turning off your applications in a dirty manner, it has no time to close all opened connection handles and the agents opened by that applications remains open until they finish processing and "realize" the connection is no more. Although this processing may take a while to close, even after you force them off.

It´s now fixed on DB2 V8 FP2

Here´s the APAR that solved this:
    IY43459 ORPHANED DB2AGENT PROCESSES STILL PROCESSING AND HOLDING LOCKS AND RESOURCES LONG AFTER THE ASSOCIATED APP IS KILLED

Hope this helps.

Fernando Ohana.
    Last edited by fohana; 03-08-05 at 10:06. Reason: correction

how do you find such connection

I am looking for a way to periodically find such orphoned connections.

Is there anyway or query to do that ?

Thanks!

AFAIK all you can do is check if the PID associated with that db2agent is still up and running.

If you´re using remote clients, take an application snapshot and look for the PID at the client machine and check, on that machine, if that process is still alive.

I found out I had "zombie" agents when the application accessing the Database was shutdown and the connections weren´t released, even after forcing them off.

Besides that, I don´t have a recipe or a how-to, considering I usually find ´em manually.

HPH
    Fernando Ohana