Thread: Forms

Unanswered: Forms

I have an Invoice form which calls other forms via buttons pressed by the user. In this scenario the user opens a previous invoice and edits the data on the main form and presses the 'detials' button to open another form. The details form opens up with the old data which the user changes and saves. When the user exits the form and reopens it (i.e. details form) the old data still shows.

How can I get the form to display the new data?

The record you modify should change and remain changed. Check the following options:

1) Go to the Tools menu and select Options;
    2) Select the Advanced tab;
    3) Make sure the following are selected:

--- Default Open Mode {Shared}
    --- Default Record Locking {No Locks}

Close and Restart your database. Now try it.

Hi toukey1,

May i ask you.. How you search for the records to be displayed in you case, How you seach for the invoice to be displayed before leading to the edit page?

I am facing a problem in displaying my search results out in a listbox. Such as to search for records with Media field containing the input text user types in.. And to display all the records out with field Media similiar to what the user types to lead to edit page for editting...

Please englighten me..

Quote Originally Posted by toukey1
    I have an Invoice form which calls other forms via buttons pressed by the user. In this scenario the user opens a previous invoice and edits the data on the main form and presses the 'detials' button to open another form. The details form opens up with the old data which the user changes and saves. When the user exits the form and reopens it (i.e. details form) the old data still shows.

How can I get the form to display the new data?
    How are you saving the data? I'm asking this because data is not saved in a form by default, and if you close a form before saving the data, the data goes away. In order to ensure that data is saved, you must either: 1) go to another record, which forces a save, or 2) click on the left panel of your form before closing the form. You'll notice a pencil at the top left of your form (the "dirty" icon). If you click on that left panel, the icon changes to a sideways triangle ("unchanged" icon).

You could, of course, add a "save record" command button on your form with the correct code.

Sam

Thanks Guys. I will try all options.

I tried all suggestions posted above but without success. Please feel free to offer more suggestions.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toukey1
    I tried all suggestions posted above but without success. Please feel free to offer more suggestions.
    In this scenario the user opens a previous invoice and edits the data on the main form and presses the 'detials' button to open another form.
    At this point if you have not applied changes or closed the calling form you will not be able to make changes to data in the same record because of record locking. If you are using VB to open the detail form you would use

If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

This will apply pending changes. Or you could explicitly close the form which would also apply updates.

The details form opens up with the old data which the user changes and saves. When the user exits the form and reopens it (i.e. details form) the old data still shows.
    Not really sure what you are trying to do by opening the details. Once the changes are applied from the main form then they'll show in the details unless you have some mechanism to create an audit trail and are view that data? Here again if you make changes on some detail form, first off you'll run into problems if the same record is locked by another form, second off you'll need to apply the changes explicilty or by closing the form when returning to the calling form.

~
    ~

Bill

I'm at a loss, but I need some information that I think will be helpful. Is the detail form a subform on your invoice form, or is it an independent form? What is the relationship between the Invoice table and the Details table? Are both of your forms bound, and to which tables?

Sam