Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Veritas database backup

Anyone have experience using Veritas to backup SQL Server databases?

I just started with a client who's SQL Server froze with the CPU pegged at 99% on my first day. I think it might be related to using Veritas SQL Server component to run hot backups of the database, while the SQL Server Agent was running simultaneous independent backups. All this on a live database of course, while a user was completing a large transaction.

I advised them to disable the Veritas SQL Server backup component and let SQL Server back up its own databases. Then use Veritas just to archive SQL Server's backup files.

I think I saw a similiar issue at a previous client site that was using Veritas. Please let me know if you have prior experience in this area, and your evaluation of the quality of Veritas database backup component.

Thanks!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

All i can say IS get LEGATO instead of veritas if you have the budget of course

I had a lot of issues with it when I tried to use it and gave up. That was an older version though. It had a lot of memory issues. Are you getting any errors in the event viewer or SQL Server error logs?
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

What is suspicious in the event log is that at 9:30 am, which is approximately when the issue began, there are several warnings that the ALLOW UPDATES configuration option is being changed. I do not know if it is Veritas that is doing this, or the application software package that the client is using, but of course it give me the heebie-jeebies...

blindman

??? You know what, I had the same thing happen yesterday during backups. I was thinking it was really weird also, because I hadn't seen it before.

???
    MeanOldDBA

Are you using Veritas?

Does your SQL Server log show changes to the ALLOW UPDATES option?

Can you correlate the times of the log entries with specific jobs or activities?

blindman

I'll look when I'm at work again. We do not use the Veritas Backup Agent. We use SQL LiteSpeed. It was the ALLOW UPDATES option that was changing; however, it kept changing from 1 to 1. Let me check to be sure on this though. I need to look it up at work, so I actually know that I know what I'm saying.
    MeanOldDBA

If it was changing from 1 to 1, then that means some sloppy process was not setting it back to 0 at completion. And it also means that your system table could be easily or accidentally corrupted!

blindman

I'm well aware of what it means. It wasn't the ALLOW UPDATES. It was the SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS. This is still extremely annoying, but not an issue like you're experiencing.
    MeanOldDBA

My experience has been that the only reliable way to do warm backups is to use a homegrown version of Log Shipping. I've tried just about every third party backup tool on the market and none of them understand a basic principle - don't muck w/ the backups.

They all try to get sophisticated and unfriendly by doing some whacky routine that is intended to enhance SQL Server. The problem is that we're talking backups here and you can't afford for it to be wrong, once.

And they all make mistakes.

So, invest time and money in solving the problem with tools offered with SQL Server and just say no to 3rd Party backup solutions. I know this is gonna make a lot of backup vendors unhappy, but they should be able to at least appreciate the fact I didn't mention them by name.

I mean it when I say I've tried just about everyone on the market (even helped write one of them, and it worked great until they decided to enhance it).

Finally, ask them what a hot backup is and then ask them what it is worth. Hopefully, they'll get the answer to the second question correct. Betcha a nickel they're wrong on the first. There is no such thing as a hot backup - it can be really, really warm, but you can only approach hot, not reach it. Hot is known as clustering, not as a backup, so don't get fooled into using it as one.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams