Unanswered: Access 97/ SQL Server/ ADO question

I am converting an Access 97 application from an Access 97 backend to SQL Server 8 using DSN-less programming. I've found that even after the application logs in to the server, you will be prompted for the SQL Server login ONCE; after that, you can access any form/table without the annoying SQL Login.

There's only been ONE workaround that I see works; choosing "save password" when linking the Access tables via ODBC in the development environment.

My question: since my boss does NOT like the approach mentioned in the last paragraph, can ADO link to the TABLES programmatically after a connection to the database has been established ? I've seen this programmatic linking done in DAO, but didn't think this could be done in ADO, whose focus is on the CONNECTION instead of the TABLES.

Any help would be appreciated !

couple of silly questions:

all front end forms are DAO
    you are in DAO-native '97
    ...why go thru the ADO hoops?

can't you use trusted logon on the server and leave your network security to handle all the login crap?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    couple of silly questions:

all front end forms are DAO
    you are in DAO-native '97
    ...why go thru the ADO hoops?

can't you use trusted logon on the server and leave your network security to handle all the login crap?

izy
    I've converted the DAO code to ADO since DAO is not recommended as the best way to connect to SQL Server.

What's the implication of using trusted login ? I know that's option when setting up an ODBC link.

Given these answers, IS there a way to connect to the tables via ADO so I don't get the SQL Server login box ?

well, i wont go any further in the great DAO vs ADO debate other than to reassure you that DAO works just fine with SQL-Server. if you are using ODBC, DAO probably works better than ADO!

trusted connection uses your windows network domain\username as authentication: if a user can authenticate himself into your network, and you setup that domain\username with server access and an appropriate database role: no more passwords.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2