Unanswered: managing the archive logs

Is there a good automatic way of maintaining the archive log files built in to Oracle?

I've recently been assigned maintain a couple Oracle databases at a place with mostly SQL Server DBA's. Currently their procedure is to check the log file directory every month and delete the oldest files manually. There's got to be a better way, right?!

BTW - This is Oracle 9.2 running on a Win2000 server, if that makes a difference.

What software are they using to backup the oracle database. Are they doing hot (database up) or cold (database down) backups?
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

We're using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 for this particular server (Win NT not 2000 as I initially thought).

All backups are cold, and are done nightly. There appears to be a windows CMD script called by the scheduled job that shuts down the DB, in addition to performing some other tasks. I suppose I could add some file management in there.

I was just wondering if there was something built into Oracle that did this, but I haven't seen anything.

RMAN does this with a command:
    delete obsolete;

this deletes all obsolete archive logs and backups. Obsoletes are defined by your RMAN settings regarding retention.

IE: If you retention policy is "keep 7 days of backups" then RMAN only deletes backups older than 7 days

once you have a cold-backup you don't really need any archive-logs that occurred before that backup. It's probably a good policy to keep archivelogs through two old sets of cold-backups just in case.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Quote Originally Posted by akosz
    We're using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 for this particular server (Win NT not 2000 as I initially thought).

All backups are cold, and are done nightly. There appears to be a windows CMD script called by the scheduled job that shuts down the DB, in addition to performing some other tasks. I suppose I could add some file management in there.

I was just wondering if there was something built into Oracle that did this, but I haven't seen anything.
    As the duck said, this is done automatically if you are using rman to backup the database. That being said, all you need to do is to have the script call a cleanup script before Veritas restarts the database and delete all archive logs greater then x number of days.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

i've done some more research into the rman and it seems like that's the direction we need to head in with all of our oracle db's.

thanks for the advice guys, i appreciate it.