Question Unanswered: Link from access to xls?

Hi I wondering if someone could help me out.

Does anyone know how to link data from access to xls and then back to access again?

I want to create a link to database via an xls spreadsheet taken from another database.

I've tried the import external data wizard in access and it works but the only problem is it fails to update the information.

I need the xls spreadsheet so that my users can store it locally on there machines with no need to be connected to the network.

Any help would be really appreciated

Dave.

if you're looking for an excel spreadsheet as offline entry form you're up to a "little" import topic. use transferSpreadsheet to import the Xl file into the database and then add it to your data table (using append query). but as people tend to be very creative with data entry if you don't restrict them you possibly will run into a lot of import validation coding.

Sorry perhaps my initial post wasn't clear, I can link xls with access no problem but when I take the same spreadsheet and link it to another access database it doesn't update with the most up to date information from the linking database.

It would simply be a read only linked table, no inputting would be allowed.

Sorry, but its kinda hard to explain

Thanks

D.

I'm guessing that if you make a change in DB1, then open the spreadsheet
    and SAVE the spreadsheet, then open DB2; you'll see then changes.

I have something similar, and the changes aren't visible to the linked files unless the "middle" file is opened and saved.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Yeah I done that, but I'm trying to figure out a way to do it without opening the xls spreadsheet.

Thanks for the input though,

D.