Thread: Change MDE Icon

Question Unanswered: Change MDE Icon

Hi all,

I have put a MDE on my clients machine and instead of the icon (used on the mde) showing it as an access icon how do I change it to a custom icon. Is there a setting in access or windows to do this. I dont want to change the icon used for all mde's, just for this one database.

Thanking you all in advance

as far as i know you can only add/change special icons to exe files. non-exe files like mde will use the default icon Access assigned for systemwise.
    ghozy.

There are numerous programs available online that perform this task. My suggestion is to grab yourself a copy of Icon Changer from ShellLabs. Since the download is an evaluation copy, it will only allow you to change up to 3 icons before asking you to purchase it. This should be fine though for changing your 1 MDE file. The program is available here: http://www.shelllabs.com/iconchanger_download.htm

Additionally, if you really want to add some flare, grab yourself an icon editor like Axialis' Icon Workshop available here: http://axialis.com/iconworkshop/. It will let you create your own custom icons or you can import ready-made artwork and it will convert it into several icon formats. It's just a nice touch to add your custom own icon to your app. HTH.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 03-10-05 at 10:12.
    *DaVinci
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

that software doesnt embed the icon into file. which means you have to install it to every client computer that using your mde file and config properly
    ghozy.

In access there is a possibility to define an application icon. This is not displayed in the windows explorer, but in the window title of your application. You can set it using

Currentdb.Properties("AppIcon") = "drive:\path\special.ico"

after having set the property once through "Extras->Start...

Quote Originally Posted by ghozy
    that software doesnt embed the icon into file. which means you have to install it to every client computer that using your mde file and config properly
    Keep in mind we're talking strictly about desktop icon files here, not application icons. I've deployed the same MDE file across a LAN to a half dozen machines and the icon appeared just fine.

In terms of the application icon, Access will link to the .ico file and display it in the title bar of the application window. In this situation, yes, you must install the icon on each individual machine. (My suggestion is to automate this process in your install routine.) It adds a nice touch if you use API to add the same icon to your forms. It looks great when everything is consistent.
    Last edited by DaVinci; 03-10-05 at 15:38.
    *DaVinci
    "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"