Unanswered:

What a moronic forum software. I want to delete this post but there's no apparent feature.

Why is there a thread "dBforums > Database Server Software > DB2 > Can't connect to the Tools Catalog Database" searchable from Google that has absolutely squat in it?

As if I have the time to waste!

Yes the software is crap. After all it uses MySQL.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Ironic... Here I am trying to resolve a problem with DB2 which I don't have with MySQL, i.e. MySQL installs itself calmly and successfully and DB2 can't even create it's own users correctly during setup.

I'm trying to evaluate viability of DB2 as a replacement to MySQL when our apps are in the enterprise space.

I'm installing DB2 Express C (or whatever IBM is calling it today) on CentOS 4.3 (100% RHEL4 binary compatible) and getting the following error:

Creating DB2 instances:.......Success
    Building list of databases to create:.......Success
    Creating DB2 databases:.......Success
    Configuring the DB2 Administration Server:.......Success
    Updating global profile registry:.......Success
    The contact "contact1" was successfully added.

Configuring health alert notifications:.......Success
    ERROR: SQL4400N "db2inst1" does not have the authority to perform the administration
    task at the DB2 Administration Server.

ERROR:An error occurred while running the command
    "/home/db2inst1/sqllib/bin/db2 CREATE TOOLS CATALOG SYSTOOLS USE EXISTING
    DATABASE TOOLSDB FORCE" to initialize and/or migrate the DB2 tools catalog
    database. The return value is "4".

Creating DB2 tools catalog:.......Failure
    WARNING:A minor error occurred while installing "IBM DB2 Universal Database
    Express Edition" on this computer. Some features may not function correctly.
    Can you shed any light on what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Last edited by jtarrier; 04-04-06 at 03:57.

It is a known issue that the tools catalog does not install correctly during the initial DB2 installation on some versions of Linux (your Linux is not officially supported by DB2). You can easily create the tools catalog after the installation if you need it (it is optional). THe Control Center (which I would recommend that you run remotely from Windows) can also create the tools catalog.

The tools catalog is used to store information needed for certain administrative functions such as the job scheduler, and I think the alert/health monitor database (I don't use either of them).

BTW, DB2 does create its own users in the OS if you use the GUI install.
    M. A. Feldman

Hello Marcus

Many thanks for the clarification.

I appreciate your cautionary note about DB2 not being officially supported on CentOS - good job I didn't try it on Fedora or Mandriva ;-)

Once I got the JVM versions sorted out the DB2 users were indeed created correctly via the GUI installation which added to my consternation that they then could not be used to create the database during installation.

CentOS is only deployed for our SME clients who are unable/unwilling to fork out for RHEL. I'm sure you've met the type... give them a free RDBMS and they want a free OS to run it on.

All the best and thanks once again for the help,

Jeremy

DB2 probably runs fine on that version of Linux, but sometimes there are some workarounds needed for the install. After the initial install on Linux, most people don't have any problems. But if you do, you can ask about them in this forum.
    M. A. Feldman