Unanswered:

I need information: Poet Database

I had to google it. It appears POET is a OORDBMS. It is also pretty obscure (but then most of them are).

There is no real answer to this other than you will either have to get you hands dirty or pay someone else to do so. I would suspect no one on here has any experience of POET, but you might get lucky.

I'm afraid I can't help - I would likely need to spend a a lot of time with the database to even specify the next stage.

I did some quick checking and apparently POET doesn't exist anymore. Here is a link to someone in the know. Apparently Versant took over the product. I would followup with them and see if they have an ODBC driver for it. That will probably be your best bet.

Poet Software | Jochen Toppe's Blog

ODBC Driver as DCK suggested is the route I'd go. I'd google and try to find one (may be difficult if it wasn't a popular program as it sounds.) Once you get the ODBC Driver and install it, you can then link to the tables and hopefully get the data you need transferred. Some of these programs had a proprietary backend (ie. Quicken) as they didn't want others to see their backend data tables (and how they designed their structure). Quicken (Intuit) finally came out with a driver to their backend tables (yuck).

If you can't find an ODBC driver, I'd start look at exporting routines within the POET program itself and hopefully find a compatible format (such as dbf, csv, txt, xls, etc...)

Hopefully the table structure is relational or you may have a challenge putting all the data together again if in multiple tables as these programs typically are in.

In-House only if you have a dba with some free time.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-01-10 at 18:26.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy View Post
    Hopefully the table structure is relational
    That's the problem - POET is an OODBMS. I don't even know if ODBC applies to OO databases...