Unanswered: Conditional Counting

I have a SQL database I am trying to extract data from and place a conditional counting formula in it.

I am trying to count the instances of ID numbers in a table. Some of them can have two attributes associated with the ID numbers. I want to count each ID number for each attribute but I don't want to double count the ID number if it has both attributes associated with it.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-Chris

Can you provide a simple example data set?

This is a summary of the total instances of data.

Indicator, Description, Goal, Avg, Met, Goal, Total Pool, Threshold, %,

R-03, Average Time to Assign Property, 1 b-day, 0.3, 777.00, 812, 90%, 95.7%,

R-03-H Average Time to Assign Property, 3 b-days, 1.3, 119.00, 129, 90%, 92.2%,

I put commas in so you could make out the columns. All of the calcs need this assigned to them.

As you can see there are two indicators.

If an ID# had an R-03 indicator and then showed up again with an R-03-H indicator I only want to count the same ID in the R-03 and double count it.

But if it only shows up with the R-03-H I want to count that one only.

Thanks for you help

Do you have a unique identifier for each row? It sounds like you have some sort of ID#, so I will abse my answer on that.

In your crystal, set up a running total field that makes a distinct count of your ID#, and with the criteria that indicator in ['R-03', 'R-03-H']. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by cdols; 09-20-05 at 15:14. Reason: Typo

Yes and No. The ID# is unique but can show up in both Indicators. How do I only count them once if they show up in each and still have a count for the H indicator that doesn't include the dups?

By using the 'distinct count' in the running total field, you will count each ID# only once. Open up your crystal help and look up 'Running Total Fields' and it shoudl give you all the information that you need.

Maybe I can be of assistance. Use the grouping by ID and then Distinct Count subtotal for each indicator. then sum the distinct counts in the report footer/header.