Thumbs up Unanswered: HP Data Protector for Sql Server -- reviews?

Our IT is pushing HP Data Protector (HPDP) on us. Anyone ever see it in action?

they are telling us NOT to use the standard MS SQL Backup/restore process, because their HPDP does it for us.

But I have hesitations.

Anyone?

`Le

Thumbs up

Still no answer on this? Well, it seems that HP strongly recommends we use their Sql Server backup system. They are saying that it is more efficient and dependable than Sql Server's normal dump system.

~Le

Provided Answers: 11
    I am assuming you are talking about Omniback. We have no complaints here. The performance setting stuff up is painful, and security was a bit of a pain to configure, but once you have it in, it works pretty well.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply, MCrowley.

Sometimes we do restores of our database onto all the developers machines (4 developers), and a couple additional test machines.

How would something like that work?

~Le

It is not terribly intuitive in their interface, since everything is displaying according to the source of the data, rather than the destination, so I am usually holding my breath wondering if I am replacing the production database, but again, it does work, after you get used to the oddities.

Thumbs up more questions

Thanks, MCrowley. This knowledge is infinitely useful. As part of the development group, it is very easy to backup our databases with dumps and restore them to our dev machines when we need to. So I hesitate with this new HP method, which a different department would be in charge of.

So, if I need to replicate the production server onto 5 test boxes daily, it can be done?

and if I wanted to restore an instance of Sql server on to a test box from, let's say, 2 weeks ago, that would also be possible?

~Le

Provided you have the tapes, and all, what you need is possible.

Thumbs up

Thanks, MCrowley. Another question please.

Right now our dump/restore processes work perfectly.

As such, would using the HP DATA PROTECTOR be really safer and more efficient than our current processes?

`Le