Thread: Clock

Unanswered: Clock

I have a problem for which I am looking for an answer....

I have an ASP interanet website in which there is a data collection page. A lot of people stay on this page for a long time. Alongside they open up other applicaions also...

So we are displaying a javascript clock which starts when the page loads on the clock... but if the network is slow and page takes some time to load, some time is lost and then the clock shows less time....

The client pc time is not caliberated...

Is there any way to find the time spent in network ?

I have a problem for which I am looking for an answer....

I have an ASP interanet website in which there is a data collection page. A lot of people stay on this page for a long time. Alongside they open up other applicaions also...

So we are displaying a javascript clock which starts when the page loads on the clock... but if the network is slow and page takes some time to load, some time is lost and then the clock shows less time....

The client pc time is not caliberated...

Is there any way to find the time spent in network ?

Why don't you start the clock ticking in the body onload event of the page?

From what I understand the body onload event will only fire when the document is completely loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by rokslide
    Why don't you start the clock ticking in the body onload event of the page?

From what I understand the body onload event will only fire when the document is completely loaded.
    it is currently starting on the body onload... however some time (seconds) i spent before the page is loaded... then after you press submit... again some time is spent while the page is being submitted...

okie, so your session expires before the clock finishes counting down because the total time is not the clock time.

you are always going to have a problem with something link this simply because you can never be sure how long it will take a form/page to submit, it is entirely dependant on network bandwidth available at the time.

What is it you are actually trying to do? Give people a count down clock so they know how much time they have left to fill in the form??

Quote Originally Posted by rokslide
    okie, so your session expires before the clock finishes counting down because the total time is not the clock time.

you are always going to have a problem with something link this simply because you can never be sure how long it will take a form/page to submit, it is entirely dependant on network bandwidth available at the time.

What is it you are actually trying to do? Give people a count down clock so they know how much time they have left to fill in the form??

basically.. people are rated on the basis of how much work they have done and in how much time... the js clock shows time spent on each page... however the actual time spent is always either more than or less than the time shown by the js clock....

How could the actual time ever be less? Shouldn't it always be more due to the server turn around time??