Unanswered: FileMakerPro3 data to Excel

I need to figure out how to get numbers from a report that is generated by FileMaker to an Excel template, into specific cells. I need it to make this report each day, and to make a new excel file each day from this template. The template will then to some calculating once it receives these numbers.

I know next to nothing about programming in FileMaker, and know enough about Excel to make it calculate what I needed it to do.

Hi, N! FileMaker Pro exports to various formats. For excel, I typically use tab-separated text or comma-separated text (.csv) but I think the latest version of FM can export directly to Excel. When you export from FM, it exports whatever data you have in the current "found set", so I'm not sure what is in your report, but whatever you do to make that report, you can probably just go to FILE > EXPORT and export whatever fields you want to take.

Since you are doing this every day, you may want to invest a little time into learning FileMaker and its ScriptMaker, which will help you automate the process. Of course, if you learn FM, you may find that you can do the calcs in FileMaker, too, but it depends on what you're trying to do. For now, exporting manually to .txt or .csv may be easier for you.

FileMaker calculations or calculation fields allow you to do similar things like Excel formulas do. ScriptMaker is more of a process/task kind of 'programming' (Open file, go to records, select this field, copy field, duplicate this record, etc.). FileMaker is not a substitue for Excel, but I think you'll find a whole new range of possibilities with it that you can't do in Excel, and of course, vice-versa.
    --ST

I figured I may be able to do the same type of calculatios in FileMaker. Thanks Steve.

~Nick