Unanswered: Oracle Tv commercial

I'm sure most of the people have seen the oracle grid commercial on TV. They say on the commercial
    'Now if one server fails the grid continue to work faster'
    Can someone explain to me how is faster ? If orginaly i had 10 server to do the job and now i have 9 to do the same job. How is it going to be faster? And if it really is then why should we have grid, if the less servers the better then lets stay with one.

call oracle.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Obviously, it takes less time to negotiate the workload between 9 servers than it does with 10.

If we are going to look at negotiation time lets aviod the grid, so that there is no negotiation time.

Could it be that they mean the remaining machines work 'harder' in order to take up the workload of the failed server?

Without seeing the advert and therefore the context of 'work faster' I'm just guessing.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Provided Answers: 1
    If the servers are on the same electrical circuit then one less server means more electrons for the remaining ones, and the higher density of electrical current allows them to process more data per time unit. In addition, the temperature in the server room decreases, which also has a positive effect.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i
    If the servers are on the same electrical circuit then one less server means more electrons for the remaining ones, and the higher density of electrical current allows them to process more data per time unit. In addition, the temperature in the server room decreases, which also has a positive effect.
    I like this answer. But I was a bit off quoting their words. I just saw commercial again and this is what they say
    Now, If a server fails the grid just keeps running. The oracle grid runs faster, costs less and never breakes....

Quote Originally Posted by nicpon
    I'm sure most of the people have seen the oracle grid commercial on TV. They say on the commercial Can someone explain to me how is faster ? If orginaly i had 10 server to do the job and now i have 9 to do the same job. How is it going to be faster? And if it really is then why should we have grid, if the less servers the better then lets stay with one.
    The ad is available here: http://www.oracle.com/ad/index.html

It just says "If a sever fails the grid keeps running"

Is this the ad you are talking about?

Yeah thats the one. LIke i said before i was off, my bad.

They seem to never mention the countless patching issues though....

Did you notice that when those commercials first came out, there was a reference to how the grid was superior to a mainframe. Now, that part seems to be missing.

Also is that true that it never fails ?

What they mean is that if you have a grid made up of several servers, the chance of all the servers going down at the same time (discounting flood, fire, earthquake, tornado, power outage, and human error) is very slight. And as long as one of the servers is up, you have a slower but still functioning grid.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 09-22-05 at 17:24.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I wanted to find out if in real world excluding disasters you have mentioned and human error it still never fails?