Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    75

    Unanswered: permission problems in replicated db

    hi, I have a split database with a replicated backend. The users at two different physical sites all use the same front end (in Access) with their own copy of the backend. Problem is, I updated some things in the front end, copied it over to the other site (replacing the old FE copy they had) and updated(/changed) the paths in the Linked table manager, and now it's saying those users don't have permission to run certain things they used to. I've checked all the permissions in my .mdw file here (which clearly says they have permission to use these objects in question) , and copied it over to the other site, but with no effect..they're using this same .mdw file that says they have permission, but they dont. I can't shake the feeling that it's something simple I'm missing...any thoughts?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    15
    The mdw file doesn't say that they have permission, the mdb file does. When you copied the objects, you lost their permissions. The mdw file is simply a list of users/groups..

    *EDIT* If you copied the whole front end, you may have lost permissions when you relinked the tables, depeniding on how you did it...
    Last edited by tman2; 09-21-05 at 21:39.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    75
    ahhh yeh, i see.....so what would be the best way to do it then? The way I did it this time was I made the changes to my copy of the front-end (which is the same as everyone else's, I just have a local copy), then copied that over for everyone else at my site (no probs with perms), and also copied it over to the other site after first using the linked table manager to point that front end to the backend replica at the second site (to avoid having to get someone there to do it). Then, after finding out that some perms had been lost, I also copied over the mdw file (which I guess was pointless, since it doesn't have the permissions stored in it)....so where did I lose the permissions, and how do I do this properly so I won't lose them next time I have to update something?
    Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    15
    I am not exactly sure why you lost the permissions from using the linked table manager.

    What kinds of things can't they do? Did they lose access to all the tables you updated, or only specific rights?

    How are you making sure that they are using the correct mdw file? Are you using a shortcut or their registry?

    It may be that when it refreshes the links, it creates new objects for the tables (which would then be new objects with no permissions yet assigned) because it thinks they are from a different database, and therefore no longer the same tables..I think by looking in the MSysObjects table you can compare the objects between the two copies to find out...I do not remember the field names, and I do not have access in front of me at the moment...

    If the problem comes down to the linked table manager, you can make a virtual path on your machine by mapping a network drive or using the ?subst? command so that the tables needn't be refreshed. Another alternative would be to write a function to reassign the permissions each time...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    75
    the only permissions lost were ones that I'd added recently...not necessarily new objects tho, just new perms on existing objects
    Technically I have no way of checking that they're using the right mdw file, but not something I have to worry about, since I set it up to use the right one and no-one at the other site would know how to change it...
    It might have something to do with how I refreshed the tables for the other site, which I did by opening it and pointing to a temporary replica stored on my computer in the same path that it's stored in on the other site's computer...not sure, I should probably get someone at the other site to log in and check the permissions there and see what they say, see if they're the same as they were when I set them up here...if that is what caused the problem then mapping a network drive as you say should do the trick, thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •