Question Unanswered: Alter Datafile Autoextend

Hi All,
    I am new to Oracle and trying to learn the steps. I am practicing on Designer 10g and for that installed a new repository. Everything works fine, but a few times it prompted me that the datafile XYZ in tablespace REPOS_TEMP cannot be extended. So I went in through Enterprise Manager, located the required file and checked the "AUTOEXTEND" option to True. That is fine, however my question is if i wanted to achieve the same result of altering a datafile residing in a tablespace via Sqlplus, what command should I issue? I tried searching in the forum and Internet and tried various things, but cannot succeed. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in resolving this simple query.

Thank you all for your time and efforts.

Liverpool, NY USA
    you must be logged on as a DBA user, then issue

alter database datafile 'c:\oradata\mysid\XYZ.dbf' autoextend on next 10m maxsize unlimited;

This would turn on autoextend, grab new disk space of 10 meg when needed and have no upper limit on the size of the datafile. (This would be bad on a 32bit machine, where the max size is typically 4gig.)
    Last edited by beilstwh; 09-22-05 at 11:54.
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi beilstwh,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes it did worked. However, I wanted to modify a tempfile, instead of datafile so had to change your answer to:

alter database tempfile 'c:\oradata\mysid\XYZ.dbf' autoextend on next 10m maxsize unlimited;