Unanswered: purging old tranlogs

hi !
    I have a job that creates tranlog backups every 15 mins and makes a full database backup at midnight.
    I want to purge the old logs after the full backup , how can I do that ?

thanks
    Sami

Have you considered instead using the Database Maintenance Wizard? You can suppy a value to specify how long to retain both full backups and transaction log backups. It won't precisely meet your requirements since unneeded transaction logs will be retained even after a full backup, but it is simple to create, easy to maintain and easy for anyone to understand (since the database maintenance wizard is pretty well documented in MS texts).

I generally create two maintenance plans: one for system databases (where transaction logs do not need to be backed up) and one for user databases (where transaction logs are backed up).

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by aliyesami
    hi !
    I have a job that creates tranlog backups every 15 mins and makes a full database backup at midnight.
    I want to purge the old logs after the full backup , how can I do that ?

thanks
    Sami
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 1
    The maintenance wizard simply creates a job the class the xp_sqlmaint procedure. Frankly, you are better off bypassing the wizard and creating a the job yourself. You can look up all the parameters available (including purging old files) in Books Online under "sqlmaint Utility".
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com