Arrow Unanswered: Is MCDBA worth it?

Is MCDBA worth of the time and money one has to put into to acheive it?
    I am talking in terms of getting a job.
    Do you think after getting MCDBA you have gained sustantial knowledge about the subject?

I havent appeared for any of the MS exams as yet
    but would like to start with 70 228 and 70 229.

I like reading BOL, but i guess for certfn exams you have to have a diff approach...

I'm working on mine just to get it. I started into it last year before I sort of lost faith in the need for a certification, but it can't hurt, right?
    Dandy
    Aspiring Database Dwarf

i guess it can since you wud be preparing only from exam point of view....
    so which exams have you cleared so far..

Provided Answers: 6
    you can know how to pass a test or know what you are doing and anyone worth working for will know the difference.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

There are benefits

I'm an Industrial Engineer that has worked in the manufacturing sectory for about 8 years. Over the years I've migrated to developing data solutions to monitor the performance of manufacturing lines. I'm not an IT guy but have got a little deeper into the SQL Server world with each job change (about every 2 years).

The last company I worked had a policy to reimburse for college classes geared toward the MCDBA cert. I took both the admin and programming class. I found them very interesting but only got my to about a 70% on the practice tests (it takes 85% to pass). I'm pretty good with SQL server, so I think it really takes some good real world experience to pass the tests - and then you need 3 more outside of that realm...long story short, the company got bought out and no more funding for the certification.

I decided to look and see what jobs where out there...the job search went pretty good. Over a couple of months, I had 4 different offers and chose a Senior DBA position outside of the manufacturing sector at $90k (I'm in SoCal) all without having a MCDBA certification or ever working for an IT department. That's not meant to brag, but just as a baseline as to what's possible. I'm a very qualified engineer with a solid statistical and analytical background my new company wants to leverage.

With that said - I think the certification says a lot about your skillset and understanding of SQL Server and the microsoft environment...BUT it is NOT a requirement to get a good challenging job to exercise your SQL skills and get you to the certification.

A couple of the jobs I interviewed for, but didn't get...might have worked out differently if I could have demonstrated the knowledge with work experience or certification...but I don't know if it would have got me much more money with the limited years of experience.

That's my $0.02...best of luck to you.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by dbaguru
    In the terms of getting a job, yes, it might help a lot.
    In the terms of keeping that job, well, not that much, experience and well done work worth a lot more.

Maybe I should clarify my position a litte. When I say it can't hurt, I mean if you know what you're doing, it can't hurt. I have only been working in this industry for about three years and I am still learning every day. Currently I am working as a database developer and surprisingly few if any of the people working in my department have certifications. A certification does not indicate proficiency by itself. However, I have talked to several people who have hiring responsibilities at their respective companies and most of them will place a little more value on the knowledgable applicant who has the cert. Why? Because it shows that you can set goals and accomplish them.
    That being said, if you blast through the tests for these certs by buying the answers online, well you deserve it when you don't get the job, or worse get yourself canned when the company figures out you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by tianmingqing; 09-24-05 at 19:59.
    Dandy
    Aspiring Database Dwarf

Well I also agree that experience and well done work would help you the most in
    keeping the job..
    but when you are looking out for a new job everywhere its mentioned..
    MCDBA cerfn would be a plus...

Quote Originally Posted by dbaguru
    Do you think after getting MCDBA you have gained sustantial knowledge about the subject?

I havent appeared for any of the MS exams as yet
    but would like to start with 70 228 and 70 229.

I like reading BOL, but i guess for certfn exams you have to have a diff approach...
    Depends...how many years of experience do you have?

If you got a bundle of years, no.

If it's like 2 years or less, then most likely.

Be careful though, they asks question that you would never see in the real world.

If I took it, I'd fail and be all pissed off at the misleading questions...

We has this discussion awile ago...let me see if I can find the thread....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 6
    Yeah I was going to do this this year. I chickened out a couple times or something came up and I was too busy.

One thing I gathered is that they will often provide 2 valid ways of doing something and they want the "best" answer. Seems a little subjective.

There are other tricks as well. What I found difficult where the "choose all that apply" questions. You really have to know your BOL trivia for these. You may know A and B or correct but not C.

One last thing I hear about the administration test is that it assumes certain knowledge about networking, windows server software, and active directory you may or may not have.

I get enough phone calls, even from the adds requiring a certification, when I am seriously looking.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yeah, they do ask some interesting questions. As for knowledge of AD and the like, I opted to take the server and networking tests as "electives". Although I haven't taken the networking one yet.
    Dandy
    Aspiring Database Dwarf

suggest few good materials for 70 228 cerftn guyz...

i wonder where are the MCDBA's gone..

I am using the Self-paced Training stuff that MS puts out. I've done the wind2003 server test and I'm working on 70-229 right now.
    Dandy
    Aspiring Database Dwarf