Unanswered: SQL replication for DR purpose

Can you really use the SQL replication to mirror data to another server for the purposr of DR ? What is the best method ? I would want to be able to switch to DR very quickly, allowing users to continue work. Or is there something I should know ? I would be very grateful for any help.

Switching time for clustered resources is measured in seconds. If high-availability is what you want, shell out the bucks. Any warm backup solution that uses a network to move data will require some reconfiguration of the app to a different server, or the server to mimic the ip & name of the failed server.

The answer to your first question is yes, but there are better methods. Of course there is a direct relationship between less downtime higher cost.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Question

Thanks. I do have a third party software, that I can use double take to manage replication of data from one server to another. I am being asked if
    SQL replication can be used instead of the third party software, But I want to be sure that the inbuilt replication does not have any suprises !! I have tested the third party software and that was fine. I must admit I have seen a lot of issues being reported on forums about SQL replication.

So with SQL replication I can mirror the data to a second server, and when required make the second server the primary ? As the primary the database will be updated on the new server and when the time comes I can reverse the data back to the old server, and switch this to be the primary ?

Quote Originally Posted by divebuddy
    So with SQL replication I can mirror the data to a second server, and when required make the second server the primary ? As the primary the database will be updated on the new server and when the time comes I can reverse the data back to the old server, and switch this to be the primary ?
    That is a true statement. When I had to work that scenario, it took about 2 - 3 hours to become operational from the fail point. Rename server, rename SQL Server, apply logins, correct login sids, fix sql agent jobs on renamed server, rebuild and test linked servers, and other site specific stuff.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --