View Poll Results: How useful is SQL Profiler data in a test environment?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gotta have it!

3 50.00%
  • It would be nice.

1 16.67%
  • We could use it in some cases

2 33.33%
  • I would never look at it.

0 0%
  • What is Pro-fil-er?

0 0%
    Provided Answers: 11

Unanswered: Value of Profiler traces in a test environment

I am debating whether to go to all the trouble of setting up on-demand Profiler traces on some test servers for the developers here. Really just tracing RPC:Completed and SQL:BatchCompleted, so the developers can at least try to catch a performance problem before going to production. The question I have, though, is just how useful is this sort of information to mid- to low-level (i.e. experience) developers. One of the bigger concerns is over Java applications, which like to hide their queries behind a lot of "sp_cursorfetch" calls.

My question to the forum is if you are a developer, have you ever dreamed of having this sort of information available? How useful is it?

I am going to try to post a poll along with this, but I am not sure it will work..

Thumbs up

SQLProfiler does a fine job showing SQLStatements being thrown at the server and all 2 often I find some app coders throwing unnecesary load on the Server with identical querys repeated in loops.

It's quite amusing to see the serial mind in action sometimes

In all I'm sure it depends on your environment/time/skillset - when I first used SQLProfiler I clicked my heels together twice and said " Gee I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto"

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

How did you create a poll?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    Looks like you got the hang of it ;-)