Unanswered: get the external ip address

Hi, How can I read the external ip address ? my computer is behind a router, can not be seen on the internet. only the router's external ip address can be seen. I wonder how to read that from a local computer, the one behind the router? Thank you !

Sam
    Last edited by sam888; 09-26-05 at 22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by sam888
    Hi, How can I read the external ip address ? my computer is behind a router, can not be seen on the internet. only the router's external ip address can be seen. I wonder how to read that from a local computer, the one behind the router? Thank you !

Sam
    i don't thing you can .

Exclamation hi sam888

Please update me if you Get the reply for this i am also looking for the same answer. let me know if you can help on that. mine is something different I want to know the remote Address of the client that is using the application.

Thank you

Easiest way to get your WAN ip (external IP) is go here:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

However, if you or your ISP has proxies running it may not give the correct one and indeed return the proxy address (i.e. an IP it goes through before hitting the rest of the world).

Alternatively, either telnet to the router or enter the IP number of the router (which will show up as the default gateway in your connection status under the support tab-assuming you have DHCP enabled), into a web browser - e.g. http://192.168.1.254.

If asked for a username and password, you may have to Google for the factory default if (a) you havent changed it and (b) you cant find the original documentation that came with the router.

If you need any more help on the latter 2 methods - please reply.

Cheers