Unanswered: ADP don't shows table from MSDE

Hi,

I created one blank ADP to connect default tempdb database on MSDE on server ASHFAQUEPC (name of my msde server). Tested the connection was successful.

I created a table called Testtable from command prompt (MSSQL/Binn) in default tempdb of MSDE using following lines:

…Binn>osql/U sa mypassword

1> use tempdb
    1> go
    1> Create table Testtable (Cnum integer NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, City Varchar(15))
    1> go

Table Created successfully then I added 2-3 records using following lines;

1> INSERT INTO testable (cnum, city)
    1> values (1, ‘abc’)
    1> go

1 Record affected and I did same to add 2-3 more records. Then I used following lines to see all the records I entered.

1> select * from testable
    1> go

And a list of records displayed at command prompt. After exit from command prompt I found a ‘Testtable’ appeared in the above ADP.

But next day when I opened my pc and opened ADP, I did not found the Testtable even though I re-connected to tempdb on MSDE from File menu. I reached then to command prompt to see whether the table itself is existing. Strange it was not there.

Can somebody tell me how can I get connected to testable automatically when I open my ADP? Where might have gone wrong? Do I need to create table again and input records?
    I want to make sure before I do anything with my real dbs.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

With kind regards,
    Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 6
    tempdb is recreated everytime sql server restarts. msde restarts when the last connection is closed. create a database with the create database command and create your table in there.
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 09-27-05 at 15:22.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks Thrasymachus,

IC,
    I will create my own db from scratch.

Thanks again.....

Wiith kind regards,
    Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 1
    You should definitely not be mucking around in TEMPDB, MASTER, or MSDB. Even MODEL should not be modified without good cause. Leave the system databases alone, and I'd advise you to read the manual BEFORE trying to fly the plane.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

What the blind dude is saying (with his usual grace and elegance), is that you really need to create a datbase for your purposes, and create all of you objects in there.

tempdb is a critical part of the sql server architecture that allows it to manage your "temporary" objects you can create. Temp tables, derived tables, etc. You should not interfere with it's operation.

btw, have you had a look at SQL Server Express and XM Manager?

It's still beta, but it should be coming out full time soon.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...eSQLExpMgr.htm
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Thanks blindman & Brett Kaiser for your advice.

I was not aware of behavior of these 4 default models on MSDE.

I upsized my MDB and it successfully created ADP and found steady. I can now go on to take further actions over it. I am close to mid-level carrier in handling MDBs in form of FE and BE. But as a little advance step, I used MSDE and I hope I could deal with it successfully with the help you Genius guys.
    btw, have you had a look at SQL Server Express and XM Manager?
    No, I did not take a look at SQL Server Express and XM Manager but I will do so.

Thanks again for you people..

With kind regards,
    Ashfaque
    Last edited by Ashfaque; 09-28-05 at 02:59. Reason: spellings

Can't Add Records To Subform 1 and Subform 2..

One more question...

I upsized the tables on MSDE successfully keeping the current db as MDB.

Why I dont know , the record in my subform is appearing but I can not enter new records any more..(Be is on MSDE). If my tables are on local (Not on MSDE server) it works fine.

Any idea ...?

With kind regards,

Ashfaque

Provided Answers: 1
    Could be a permissions issue with your login. Do you get any error messages?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com