Red face Unanswered: sp_addextendedproperty (was "What am I missing here?")

Hi all,
    I would greatly appreciate a boost with this problem. I'm trying to 'script' the mundane task of adding descriptions to my tables (I know this can be done from Enterprise manager via Diagrams, but I have a huge (did I mention huge?) amount of tables and I really don't want to have to go to the properties of each and every table.

Now, if I read BOL right I can use sp_addextendedproperty (and here is their example):

sp_addextendedproperty 'Caption', 'Caption Test Table', 'user', dbo, 'table', TestExProp <--- Does this not add a description to the the table?

Well, I tried it and No Joy ! When I look at the table properties from the Diagram (w/in Enterprise Manager) I have a nice big EMPTY Description Box.
    I tried changing it from 'Caption' to 'Description' thinking that would work but alas, I sit here and wonder where I went wrong ....

What have I missed?

Any input would put me out of my misery and make me a productive individual (at least for today !)

Schimelcat

Ya know, I always keep a separate data dictionary, rather than use extended properties. You easily record more meta data than is possible....but I'll go have a look.

EDIT: I don't think that's the caption you're looking for.

BOL: Use this to check your table, then go ahead and manually add 1, then check it's properties. I think it might be Comments

Code:
    CREATE   table T1 (id int , name char (20))

EXEC   sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'Employee ID', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'T1', 'column', id

EXEC   sp_addextendedproperty 'caption', 'Employee Name', 'user', dbo, 'table', 'T1', 'column', name

SELECT   *
    FROM   ::fn_listextendedproperty (NULL, 'user', 'dbo', 'table', 'T1', 'column', default)
    Last edited by Brett Kaiser; 09-27-05 at 13:32.
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Not thinking.

Do this.

Go design a table. click on the properties. You'll see the description window.

Add a description, the go save script. It'll show you which one it is....

Code:
    SET @v = N'Test'
    EXECUTE sp_addextendedproperty N'MS_Description', @v, N'user', N'dbo', N'table', N'Employees', NULL, NULL
    GO
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    Alternatively, you can always run a SQL Profiler trace of what you are after. Nifty trick, right after disecting system stored procedures.

Talking

Hi MCrowley,
    I don't suppose you'd care to be a bit more explicit? Sounds intrigueing and I'm always open to learning new things.

Brett,
    I'm gonna give your suggestion a try as well.

Thanks for the help!

Schimelcat

Provided Answers: 11
    Fire up profiler, and start a trace of your server (hopefully a test server without a lot of traffic). Use Enterprise Mangler to do whatever thing it was (set up a job, query a table, anything). Once Enterprise Mangler is done, stop the trace, and poke through the queries to see what looks to be what you wanted. EM puts out a lot of garbage, but there will usually be a couple of nuggets in there that you can reuse or reshape to your own purposes.