Unanswered: Moving DB files to another drive on the server.

Howdy y'all!

I have been instructed to move a large database we have on one of our servers off the current drive (local RAID-5 driveset in the server) to a EMC "drive" (logical drive, off-server).

I know one option is to back up the database, delete the database, re-create the db using the new drive for data/log files, then restore the database.

However, I was wondering if it would be better to just detach the DB, move the data/log files, then reattach to them?

Is it half-doz of one, and 6 of the other?

How should I go about this dastardly deed?

Off to poke around in BOL, but thought I would post first in case it's an incredibly easy answer for y'all

Thanks!
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Provided Answers: 54
    Detach, copy, re-attach.

-PatP

Thanks Pat!

That's what I figured. WAY easier than the first route (backup/delete/create/restore) and no need to update the user info (ala. sp_change_users_login).

Already done, and email already sent to impress the boss with my blinding speed and capabilities (wait...are blinding capabilities a good thing?)

Thanks again!
    Paul
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm a lazy bum at heart... I'll do all the work that's really necessary for a given job, but not so much as a smidgeon more.

-PatP