Exclamation Unanswered: Autocomplete information!!!!!???

I am building a database which will have repeat customers in it.....

Coming from a very non-technical background and all self-taught so please speak s l o w l y and simply!!!

Any help very much appreciated, thanks...

For the repeat customers I do not want to retype the contact details as these are (largely) unchanged, records are determined by Sales Order Ref which is unique....

Is there a lookup/autocomplete function that I could get my head round easily so as to be able to input client name e.g. John Doe which on inputting autocompletes the address held for John Doe...

Thanks any help, even if you can give me the techie term for this function I can then look up tutes etc.
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Provided Answers: 6
    Generally you would not store that information more than once. A typical setup for something like this would be a customer table with customer number, name, address, etc. That would only have one record per customer. Then you'd have an orders table, and each time a customer ordered something, you would only store the customer number there. You'd use that to get the address from the customer table when you needed it.
    Paul

Also

I might also add in a CustomerID field which does not allow duplicates. The field could be created by (for example using the first 4 characters of the last name, first 3 characters of the first name, first 4 or 5 characters of the address and 5 numbers of the zip code. Personally I like to create CustomerID fields (non-numeric) which tell you something about the customer's info and makes sure no duplicates are entered if they enter it correctly. Of course this makes things more difficult with updating and so on but if you have a lot of linked tables and are linking by numbers instead of by the CustomerID, it does have it's paybacks being able to tell something about that customer via the CustomerID.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks Paul, I think I know what you mean and can start looking up for help.
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

Being a bear of little brain today the solution you mention is slowly chugging through my head and I think I understand what you mean!! lol

Thanks for your help
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk

Autocomplete form

Hi,
    My name is Angelo,
    I am using microsoft access 2003.
    i made a form for clients records.
    -
    lots of my clients come for many f/u s (visits).
    [have so many clients, do not know if someone is a new or previous customer]
    -each client has a unique "store record number" (Which can not be duplicated).
    my question is
    in order to make things easy, is there a way when i type the "store record number" of a client then click "tab" to move to his name field, his record will be open automatically and i modify it,

- instead of filling the whole form and at the end it tells me that it's a duplicate?
    -
    your help is appreciated,

Angelo

Welcome to the site. Any number of ways to accomplish this. One would be a combo box on a form bound to that table. Use the combo box wizard, choosing the third option, "Find a record...".
    Paul

thank you

thank you Paul,
    it is working.
    But i added it on the form,
    the new field is not in the table.

is there a way where the same ID number field (already in table) can assume the same function? it's better for the queries.

Thanks lot,

I'm not clear on what you're asking. You could use the not in list event of that combo to go to a new record.
    Paul

thank you for your prompt reply

in the same matter , when in "properties", "Data" i try to choose "Limit to List" as NO, i am not allowed .
    is there a way to procede with new record if the customer is not in my data?
    Thanks a lot

Try this modification of the wizard created code:

Code:
      Dim rs            As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
      rs.FindFirst "[ID] = " & str(Me![Combo22])
      If Not rs.NoMatch Then
        Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
      Else
        DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
      End If
    Paul