Unanswered: Basic question on queries verses opening an ADO recordset

In MS Access XP, I have a basic question regarding a complex query (i.e 7 SQL Server linked tables) verses opening up an ADO recordset in a function in MSAccess. Using the same criteria in each (both being connected via ODBC linked tables and both making a "totals" table), is it faster execution-wise to do this via a query or via writing ADO code to do the same thing (all other parameters being the same in both) or are they equal in execution time? I know there are faster ways (i.e. stored procedures, SQL views, etc.), but I'm wondering if there is a difference in a complex query verses writing a complex SQL statement in ADO. Are there any articles regarding this subject?
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Hi Paul

The best thing to do is benchmark it (i.e. set a double variable to the Timer() value, run the query and compare to the Timer value again. Repeat). However, my money would be on the Access query - it is compiled so access has had a sight of the query and will have completed an execution plan. Everytime you run a query contained in a string from code, access acts as though it is the very first time it has had to run the query each time you run it. Personnally, I wouldn't run much more than "SELECT Col1, Col2 FROM T1 INNER JOIN T2 ON T1.ID = T2.ID" from code - any more than that and I would be looking at sprocs of views.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

BTW - just thought - the reply is based on the ADO connection being made to the A FE. If you connected to the SQL Server than the SQL Server would do the work - in that case I think my money would be on ADO.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.