Exclamation Unanswered: Unknow Char Values When Extracting Via ODBC Driver for Pervasive SQL 7

Hi,

I have been tasked by my work to extract all the data from our PSQL DB to insert into a new system, the current application that uses this database was installed before I joined and all skills with this software has been lost as the people who installed and maintained it have left the company, so I was given this task.

Now I found what I believe to be a custom application that uses the current odbc connectivity to extract the data and this works fine for the smaller table and delimits the field with the following symbol: now I can use this for the smaller table but one table is too large for this custom Application(Near 2 Million Records) which I have tried to extract in batches by using an index and setting ranges with does not work, the extract starts at BOF everytime

I need to extract these records but I keep getting unknown char symbols in the view and extract but using this custom Application I get numbers and fullstops(ie: 1.1.2.0.2)

Does Anybody have any suguestions.

Sorry about the lack of actual details regarding the tables this is due to the nature of my work

Thanks in Advance

Dean McCarten
    Web & Systems Developer
    NW UK
    Last edited by HackerNeo; 09-29-05 at 12:01. Reason: Adding Better Explaination

Provided Answers: 4
    If you can access the tables through ODBC, you can use just about any ODBC enabled tool to extract the data. There are several tools that can export to CSV or other formats.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Exclamation

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your viewpoint it was the point I took until certain columns stop showing values like 1.2.3.1 and started to show unknown char symbol instead(begintransaction, space and end transaction chr codes) are displayed
    but this only happens when using Pervasive SQL ODBC Drivers.

if you could please advise as so ideas that wouuld be greatful

Kind Regards
    Dean McCarten

Provided Answers: 4
    Sounds like there might be some data corruption though. What exact version of P.SQL 7 are you using? Does the data show correctly in SQLSCope (if you're using 7.0) or PCC (for v7.5 and later)?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Lightbulb

Hi,
    Thanks for this...
    The Data won't display in SQLScope(16-bit) 4.x and in DFF Ease 1.2.x

but the custom application works to display to screen and extract( ???) <Edit>Which Has a Option Called Text Selected, once unselected it will output the same as the others</Edit>

This I don't understand why this is but I need tio find a way to extract this data, so any help would be great

Thanks for your help
    Kind Regards
    Dean McCarten
    Web & Systems Developer
    NW UK
    Last edited by HackerNeo; 09-30-05 at 10:29. Reason: Information Update please see <edit></edit>