Unanswered: connection to sybase

Does anyone here know as to how can I connect to a sybase database from using the sql navigator tool?

Thanks

Hello,

what is sql navigator tool from your point of view ?

I'm asking because Sybase provide tools like "sybase central" and "sql advantage" with ASE distributions.

Are you talking of these ?
    Regards.

It is from Quest. I thought it was exclusively developed to work with Oracle. Sybase resells a similar tool from Leccotech called Database expert.

Before you make a decision to buy, have a look at 15.0 offering. Looks good for query analysis, index optimization etc.

Angry

Thanks. I am an oracle geek very much used to sql navigator tool to access my oracle database. I would love to use the same thing to access sybase too. I am having to butt my head into sybase now. I have sybase client installed on my workstation and yes- i do see the SQL Advantage too on my desktop. But I have no idea how to use it. Any tips ?? (It asked me a bunch of questions for which I have no clue). Right now, I access sybase tables thru MS Access making my life tougher

Well,

To use sql advantage or sybase central you have to define the connection string to connect to your(s) dataserver(s).
    The connection string is stored in the sql.ini file which located in %SYBASE%/ini.

To edit it, you can edit it manually, or use dsedit utility.
    You should have something like this:

[SYBBOT22]
    master=TCP,localhost,5400
    query=TCP,localhost,5400

[SYBBOT11]
    master=TCP,localhost,5401
    query=TCP,localhost,5401

Then use sql advantage or sybase central, select your dataserver, provide your login & password, and it should work.
    Regards.