Thread: FTP through DTS

Unanswered: FTP through DTS

I have not found any real good DTS coverage of its FTP. The two books I have say it's possible, but not covered in the books and I can't find exactly what I need through BOL. We need to transfer a file to a bank and of course it needs to be secure (SSL). Does anyone know if there are any extra/additional steps for configuring the FTP step when Digital Certificates are involved? We will really be running this through it's paces next week and testing as much as possible and I just want to make sure we don't leak data. Currently our system admin has the FTP set up as a Scheduled task and as long ast the file is in a location it'll pull it and go. I was just hoping to incorporate it all into one DTS package instead of breaking it into several independent tasks. The FTP does work fine within the domain, just concerned about outside our realm. Anyone got experience with this or a good reference book?
    Thanks in Advance!
    Tiffanie
    Still Floating in SQL Land...

Quote Originally Posted by abbra_doo
    Currently our system admin has the FTP set up as a Scheduled task and as long ast the file is in a location it'll pull it and go. I was just hoping to incorporate it all into one DTS package instead of breaking it into several independent tasks. The FTP does work fine within the domain, just concerned about outside our realm. Anyone got experience with this or a good reference book?
    I believe that the FTP task in DTS is limited to GETting files (not PUTting them). If your sysadmin has a scheduled task (and the scheduled task is set to run under the same credentials as SQL Server Agent), then you should be able to run the same command from inside DTS (Execute Process Task).

It seems to me that I read an article about using DTS and FTP on www.sqldts.com a while back. I seem to recall that the process used global (package?) variables and dynamic properties tasks to make everything work.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by abbra_doo
    I have not found any real good DTS coverage of its FTP. The two books I have say it's possible, but not covered in the books and I can't find exactly what I need through BOL. We need to transfer a file to a bank and of course it needs to be secure (SSL). Does anyone know if there are any extra/additional steps for configuring the FTP step when Digital Certificates are involved? We will really be running this through it's paces next week and testing as much as possible and I just want to make sure we don't leak data. Currently our system admin has the FTP set up as a Scheduled task and as long ast the file is in a location it'll pull it and go. I was just hoping to incorporate it all into one DTS package instead of breaking it into several independent tasks. The FTP does work fine within the domain, just concerned about outside our realm. Anyone got experience with this or a good reference book?
    Thanks in Advance!
    Tiffanie
    Still Floating in SQL Land...
    Just call the FTP batch/cmd file script from your DTS package. That is what I do and it works fine.