Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: get office version in A-VBA

i'm looking for a bullet-proof method that runs in Access code under Offices 2k, 2k3, XP that allows the client to determine which office version it is running.

thanks for any suggestions.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Access.Version or SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer) will return the version number, i.e.

8 = Access 97
    9 = Access 2000
    10 = Access 2002/XP
    11 = Access 2003

Access.Version only works in Access2000+, so SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer) is better.

If you need the build number you can get it with SysCmd(715) in Access 2000+

e.g
    Code:
    ?Choose(SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer)-7,"Access 97", "Access 2000","Access 2002/XP", "Access 2003")
    Last edited by waynephillips; 10-01-05 at 07:54.

thanks Wayne, that works fine for Access version...
    sorry, there is a "but"
    ...but i need to determine Office version (and Excel and Outlook version which i forgot to mention in the earlier post)

e.g. my XP box runs Office-XP except for Access which is 2k-dev.
    acSysCmdAccessVer will happily tell me 9.0 but that doesn't help me with the appropriate Outlook/Excel/Office libraries that i need to reference from code.

my current scam is too primitive - imagehlp/SearchTreeForFile one by one on all 9 libraries x revisions to see what's available on the client.

izy

LATER: 12 libraries x revisions if i account for all of them, tho i only have 2k, 2k3, and a few XP out there with my users.
    Last edited by izyrider; 10-01-05 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    thanks Wayne, that works fine for Access version...
    sorry, there is a "but"
    ...but i need to determine Office version (and Excel and Outlook version which i forgot to mention in the earlier post)

e.g. my XP box runs Office-XP except for Access which is 2k-dev.
    acSysCmdAccessVer will happily tell me 9.0 but that doesn't help me with the appropriate Outlook/Excel/Office libraries that i need to reference from code.

my current scam is too primitive - imagehlp/SearchTreeForFile one by one on all 9 libraries x revisions to see what's available on the client.

izy
    Ok, well what you're asking for is ambiguous. Access as we all know is part of the office suite AND can be installed seperately just like *all* the office products. For example, a user could have Access 97, Outlook 2000 and Excel 2003 - which version of "Office" do they have? well parts of all three technically...

Therefore you really do need to treat each as a seperate program to be 100% sure.

Consider using late binding to determine each version:

Code:
    Set objApp = CreateObject("Access.Application") ' Don't specify version
        lngAccessVersion = CLng(objApp.Version)
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

Set objApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") ' Don't specify version
        lngExcelVersion = CLng(objApp.Version)
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

Set objApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") ' Don't specify version
        lngOutlookVersion = CLng(Left(objApp.Version, InStr(1, objApp.Version, ".") - 1))
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing
    Then you can use this info for setting up the references. note: Outlook seems to return the build number in the string that is returned by objApp.Version so I've just trimmed it off above.

If you don't want to do late binding you are going to have to search the registry, like you said.

thanks Wayne
    ...experimenting now.

BTW, imagehlp/SearchTreeForFile is scanning the entire c:\ for the library files - which is why i don't want to do it 9 (...12 times)... takes forever!

your registry idea is interesting: search one file instead of a potentially humungous disk. might also assist if there is some truly obscure setup with libraries elsewhere than on c:\

can you illustrate or point to a registry method?

izy

...oooops, forgot: i also need the underlying Office library for menu manipulation. any suggestions for that in your late-bind scheme?

izy

thanks Wayne
    ...experimenting now.

BTW, imagehlp/SearchTreeForFile is scanning the entire c:\ for the library files - which is why i don't want to do it 9 (...12 times)... takes forever!

your registry idea is interesting: search one file instead of a potentially humungous disk. might also assist if there is some truly obscure setup with libraries elsewhere than on c:\

can you illustrate or point to a registry method?

izy
    Oh right, I didn't realise - I've never used that library before. If you were to use the file search method it would be better to use the Scripting Runtime and recursively search each directory. That way you only search the drive once. Anyway, like you said that is a bad idea in reality.

The registry keys would be

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Access.Application/CurVer/
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Outlook.Application/CurVer/
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Application/CurVer/

The default string value in these indicates the version of the application that was
    last opened on the machine. e.g. a string of 'Access.Application.11' or 'Access.Application.10'

I don't think there is an ActiveX wrapper for reading the registry, so you would need to use the Win API direcly. Have a search on MSDN for reading registry keys. RegOpenKey() etc - If you need more help with reading the registry I can do later when I have more time, unless someone else wants to help you

...oooops, forgot: i also need the underlying Office library for menu manipulation. any suggestions for that in your late-bind scheme?

izy
    Hmm what do you mean by menu manipulation? Why is this office-version specific?

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought i needed the Office library to disappear command bars.

meanwhile, my late-bind experiments hit a brick wall

Code:
    Private Sub uriGetVersion(versACC As Long, versXLS As Long, versOUT As Long)

Dim objApp As Application 'or object or nothing at all

versACC = CLng(objApp.Version)
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

versXLS = CLng(objApp.Version)
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

versOUT = CLng(Left(objApp.Version, InStr(1, objApp.Version, ".") - 1))
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

End Sub
    ...does not support etc

izy

so, correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought i needed the Office library to disappear command bars.

meanwhile, my late-bind experiments hit a brick wall

Code:
    Private Sub uriGetVersion(versACC As Long, versXLS As Long, versOUT As Long)

Dim objApp As Application 'or object or nothing at all

objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

versXLS = CLng(objApp.Version)
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

versOUT = CLng(Left(objApp.Version, InStr(1, objApp.Version, ".") - 1))
        objApp.Quit
        Set objApp = Nothing

End Sub
    ...does not support etc

izy
    .Version isn't supported in Acc97, so you would have to use the SysCmd... not sure about Excel97/Outlook97 because I don't have them installed.

Can you not just do Access.CommandBars("Name").Visible = false ?? Or am I missing something? If you do need a library, which library is it?
    Last edited by waynephillips; 10-01-05 at 11:07.

there is no a97 involved.

the brick wall arrives in a2k in o2k on w2k

(...and is why i posted this earlier: i saw .version @msdn for 2k3 but couldn't make it go under 2k)

izy

and i've got this in stock for registry read/write (tho i didn't go thru it fully yet)

izy

there is no a97 involved.

the brick wall arrives in a2k in o2k on w2k

(...and is why i posted this earlier: i saw .version @msdn for 2k3 but couldn't make it go under 2k)

izy
    My mistake, you're quite right... it works in only Acc2k2/2k3.

It's still a bit nasty even if you get it working because you're having to create an instance of each application which consumes time and resources.

I'd go for the registry approach!

thanks for all the input.
    i'm attacking the registry now and i'll let you know how it goes.

izy