Unanswered: Sybase ASE Install Problem

i've been trying to install 12.5 on fedora core 4/x86_64 and it just doesn 't seem to want to go. got the gui installer working and it stops at the "please wait..." screen. no logs are created, no messages, it just hangs with the java process owned by sybase user consuming 90+% cpu for as long as you want to let it go. i guess it is trying to set up the various servers. when i try the configure servers option (as opposed to allowing default), i get stuck with "hostname" is not a valid tcp hostname and can't get off that. i have configured a name with the hostname command and get it back when you do a hostname w/no params.

any help out there? thanks.

Hello,

One workaround could be to update the /etc/hosts file
    eg:
    192.168.0.1 your_real_hostname the_hostname_he_wants

Build the dataserver, shutdown the dataserver, then remove the_hostname_he_wants from your /etc/hosts file, update the $SYBASE/interfaces file by replacing all "the_hostname_he_wants" by "your_real_hostname", and restart the dataserver.
    Regards.

thanks. did that, but it didn't fix the problem. i did find a log file with an error in in it:

(Oct 3, 2005 3:20:32 PM), Setup.product.install, com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.Log4jAppender, sis,
    (wizardbean.ServerPort) - The Specified LDAP config file '/opt/sybase/OCS-12_5/config/libtcl.cfg' has no LDAP entries.

my system is a home system and not running ldap. its dhcp to roadrunner for internet. i suspect there is a file somewhere that i can take care of this. i'll look further.

Quote Originally Posted by jflebon
    Hello,

One workaround could be to update the /etc/hosts file
    eg:
    192.168.0.1 your_real_hostname the_hostname_he_wants

Build the dataserver, shutdown the dataserver, then remove the_hostname_he_wants from your /etc/hosts file, update the $SYBASE/interfaces file by replacing all "the_hostname_he_wants" by "your_real_hostname", and restart the dataserver.
    thanks for your suggestion. i was able to get it installed. had to use the srvbuildres approach and after a couple of stabbs at filling in the blanks, it
    works. i have done just enough to get into the server w/isql and query version.

now i can play a bit.