Unanswered: Indexes occupy a large amount of space

Hello All,
    I have a Database on Sybase 12.5 on Solaris . The space apllocation is a big problem to me the Data is occupying around 10 MB Space & the Indexes hare occupying around 1GB of space. I have to increse my device size constantly . Can some one eplain to me why my indexes are occupying such a large amount of space & how do i control it. I have non -clustered index on my DB

Do your tables contain text/image columns? sp_spaceused returns space used in text chains as index, rather than data space, so probably a good place to look in the first instance.

This could be due to splitting on the index pages. How much unused space do you have on your indexes?

You could try dropping and recreating indexes if you have space or running reorg rebuilds if it is a DOL table

Quote Originally Posted by KevR
    Do your tables contain text/image columns? sp_spaceused returns space used in text chains as index, rather than data space, so probably a good place to look in the first instance.

I do have text & images in my database but i dont think that should be the problem

Quote Originally Posted by amber_sawant
    I do have text & images in my database but i dont think that should be the problem
    It is. It's not even a problem really, just the way Sybase behaves.

If you still don't believe me, try the following:

Do a sp_spaceused on one of your larger tables, one that contains text/image data. Look for one with a very small amount of data, and large indexes, and note the space occupied by both.

Bcp out the table, remembering that index size won't add any size to the bcp file. You might have to use the -T flag to ensure that you get all of the text data out. Check the size of the file. I bet it's a lot bigger than you expect.

You mentioned in the initial post that you have a total of 10Mb of data and 1Gb of indexes. You must be storing mainly text/image data in the db.