Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: security need thoughts: ease of admin and granularity

I like the new gig a lot. Real busy, smart folks and I have been in high demand since 5 minutes after my butt hit the chair. I already have code in production.

Anyhow, we have a security situation on the sql servers I pointed out on my first day. So they want me to roll everything over to Windows Authentication and give the developers and report writers more restricted rights inside SQL Server. So they have NT Groups for different kinds of users and all of that jazz and I layed on the typical stuff about using NT groups vs individual accounts and ease of admin vs granularity of control. Well the boss came back and said he wants ease of admin and granularity of control over security. So, does anyone have any fresh thinking on turning my either\or into an AND.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

We've used the following model that I think provides both:

1. User--->AD Group---->SQL Server DB Role----->Object permissions.

For the AD groups and roles, they are DB-Function-Specifics

For example DB-System-Admin, DB-System-Util, DB-System-ReportWriter, etc.

Each has a business owner and a definition. Once defined the business can add/subtract people as needed. The DBA group changes permissions on the roles at the DB level.

The roles end up grouped very well. You have seperation of duties with granularity of permissions.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but there you go.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Provided Answers: 6
    thank you this response is too short
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Well, what do you mean by granularity of control? You can still permissions to specific groups, but then execute explicit DENY priveleges to individual users within any group.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

thank you this response is too short

????? Well, then explain better what you want. Come on Sean. You know better than this.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Provided Answers: 1
    your welcome your question is too vague

Actually, I don't think Thrassy was refering to the length of derrick's response, but was just padding his own "thank you" so that it would be long enough to qualify as a post.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com